I've been thinking a lot today about progress. I know that progress with Andrew will be slower than I would like. But when I think about Andrew when we started and Andrew now, I can begin to celebrate the progress that he has made. Andrew pays more attention to us, to our faces and our expressions...this is sooo important for a child with autism as this is how "normal" children learn how to react to and interact with others. Andrew is repeating more and his speech is much clearer. There are moments when he will speak spontaneously and those instances are becoming more frequent. He still gets frustrated and overwhelmed and throws fits (what toddler doesn't?), but we are better equipped to calm him down now that we know to gently squeeze on his arms. He is more consistent in requesting "more please" (most regarding his sippy cup, but even that is a victory).
We've started working with pictures. Putting pictures on the fridge so that he can bring us the picture or point to the picture of what he wants. He is not catching on to this as quickly.
Overall, his therapists are pleased with how receptive he is, how easy he is to work with, and how quickly he picks things up.
We've had some isolated incidences (which I doubted I would ever see), where he and his sister are playing together. This warms my momma's heart greatly.
As we get in the swing of therapy and our now hectic schedule, we are grieving the loss of the life we used to lead. It was still hectic with two young ones and one on the way, but it was relaxed and laid back compared to what life is like now. Greg and I are also beginning to grasp the basics of therapy and are attempting to be more intentional with Andrew's off-therapy play time about incorporating some of the things his therapists do to engage and teach him.
So, in all of this, I've been easily overwhelmed, sometimes discouraged, and quick to tire (the progressing pregnancy probably plays a big role in that). But God is SO faithful to find ways to encourage me in the midst of the craziness. Just today, he brought me to a verse: Galatians 6:9 which says "Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary".
As I read that, God impressed upon me that this applies to our challenges with Andrew, and with Audrey for that matter. As a mom, my life is focused on my children with limited interaction with others it the outside world. So, I know my kids are my calling, my mission field. This promise is for me in our day-to-day struggles. I am sowing seeds that are often watered by my tears (of frustration and joy). I am cultivating these two precious lives and souls. So, be it Andrew's therapy or Audrey pushing my buttons, I must not lose heart in doing what I am called to do. If I continue to tend to these small sprouts, as I believe God and take Him at His word, I know I will reap as I have sown.
No comments:
Post a Comment